Since E.C.Emmerich Company was founded in 1852 the world has changed. What remains the same is our focus on making the finest woodworking hand tools.
Join us on a quick tour through the many episodes of our company’s more than 150 year history. Then, we’re sure you‘ll better understand why we remain among the leading manufacturers of today‘s cabinetmaker‘s equipment and why every tool that leaves our house incorporates the collective contributions of five generations of innovative tool makers.
In the 19th century it was common for tradesmen, including cabinetmakers, to make their own tools. That custom included master woodworker Friedrich-Wilhelm Emmerich. He crafted his own planes and related tools. Colleagues admired his quality work and sought to buy from him. He obliged by making planes and other tools in small quantities for sale.
Together with second generation son, Max Emmerich, production grew. The resulting success of the young company led to a change in location from Remscheid District Schüttendelle to Remscheid-Hasten. Here, larger premises provided significantly better possibilities for expanding production. Max Emmerich’s two sons, Karl and Friedrich-Wilhelm Emmerich,(third generation) led the company successfully until Max‘s passing.
From about 1930 Max’s son, Friedrich-Wilhelm, managed their newly founded branch in England. Adverse circumstances of World War II led to its separation from the main company. Also, about this time, our production and administration facility in Remscheid burned to the ground. Only with great dedication and effort by Karl Emmerich was the re-constructed company able to quickly re-establish its previous business success.
Karl Emmerich’s son, Friedrich-Wilhelm (fourth generation) joined the company in 1950. Until 1971, Karl and Friedrich-Wilhelm managed operations jointly. Later, Friedrich-Wilhelm Emmerich, became sole manager. During his managerial period, he raised the brand to international recognition.